Posted on

I’m back at home again, and man is it ever cold here!!! Why do we live in this frozen country again? πŸ™‚ Wow. It was -39 here this morning and -25 in the afternoon!! The air was clear, crispy and there were “clouds” coming out of every building chimney in town. As soon as I opened the door, hot air rushed out like it was escaping a pressurized room. It’s crazy! It was -32 in Edmonton when our plane landed on Wednesday – a mere 9 and a half hours after leaving tropical Hawaii – and we felt like popsicles! It was not hard to get accustomed to the +30 temperatures of Hawaii, but the reverse adaptation is nasty. Oh well, we’ll survive. I’m not going to complain!! πŸ˜› I can’t believe my car started after sitting in the cold that long not plugged in!!* It turned over about 8 or 9 times, and I was starting to think it wouldn’t, but it did! πŸ™‚
We got back pretty late last night after driving from Edmonton, and I was tired so I left my suitcases in the car… and everything froze completely!! Steve’s backpack (also left in the car) was totally stiff, and all the liquids in my bag were liquids no longer! I think the shampoo is almost thawed out now… πŸ™‚
I thought I’d post one of my favourite pics from my trip. It was taken with a disposable waterproof camera, which worked great, and thanks to the Wal-Mart photo CD service, I have a digital version of it. It’s me and Steve, in our snorkel gear, after swimming/snorkelling for an hour or so in search in green sea turtles. We had seen some of them in the morning while kayaking, as seen in the second pic of this blog (please ignore the toes!). And just for fun, I’ll put in a close-up we took at the Maui Ocean Centre. Next blog I’ll put pictures of the zipline! πŸ™‚
Well, I hope everyone is keeping warm and happy. I am both, although it’s always sad to say good-bye to Steve. He got on the bus at noon to make his way back to his place. He called from Hay River, and wasn’t sure if the bus would be able to make the Mackenzie River crossing, but he hasn’t called again, so I hope it’s going well. I looked on the web and found out that the ice bridge is not usable yet, so they are continuing with the ferry service, with restrictions and disclaimers that they may not be able to cross due to fog or ice floes. So, there you go! I hope he makes it to Yellowknife safely and then home safe on his flight tomorrow. That’s all for now then! Take care, everybody!

*For anyone unfamiliar with the “plugging in” process, this involves powering a heater that keeps the engine block warm. Well, warmer. I doubt it’s above zero, but at least the engine parts will move. πŸ™‚


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s